Saturday 20 October 2012

Annie Leonard, Carbon footprint and Materials.

Annie Leonard

Ahh...Annie Leonard's 'Story of Stuff'. I really could not take to these videos as they irritated me.


I'm undecided whether the jittery animation was the cause of this, or the fact it was incredibly preachy and it did not state where all the 'facts' came from. However, I like to hear all the sides of every story and I enjoy the fact it made you think. To be fair, I agree with a lot that was said but I feel the approach was all wrong.

Facts I picked up from the video:

* The US makes up 5% of the world's population yet uses 30% of the worlds resources
* 99% of items we buy are trashed within 6months. This may be due to planned obsolescence or perceived obsolenscence.
* National happiness peaked in the 1950's and has declined since planned and perceived obsolenscence. (however, how they 'measured' happiness I do not know)

 


There is also THIS accompanying website.

She also explained  why we should not sell bottled water. I'm not sure whether I agree with this concept. I always order tap water if I'm at a restaurant but I always buy bottle water if I'm thirsty and there's a corner shop near by. I think that if bottled water wasn't sold people would complain that 'Everyone is being really unhealthy because they are buying fizzy drinks'. Also, tap water tends to taste different everywhere (that was meant to sound a lot less selfish than it does).


Carbon Footprints

I've been informed, by using an online interactive survey, that I'm using 2.3 planets resources. I'm going to play Devils Adovcate here and ask is this based on a daily amount, yearly, or in the average lifetime? Either way, 2.3 planets is pretty shocking. I did answer with the worst case scenerio in mind.

My score is higher than the world average but lower than my regions average which I am both saddened and pleased by. This website is a good idea as it suggests ways in which we can alter our lifestyles to benefit the world. 

Check it out on THIS link.

The 'Living Planet Report 2012' was incredibly informative. It does not come across preachy but informs the reader with statistics, problems and solutions.

WWF LIVING PLANET REPORT.


Materials

We were set the task of looking at a particular material's history and use. Heather, Billy and I were given the material 'wood'. We chose to focus on the facts;

                           *1931 First wooden currency. When the Citizen's Bank of Tenino, Washington, defaulted during the great stock-market crash, the Chamber of Commerce decided to issue round wooden couins as scrip to use until they could fill the coffers back up with the real issue
                           *. 400, 000 BC The spears from Schnoningen provide some of the first examples of wooden hunting gear. Flint tools were used for carving.

We then researched what different ways wood is used in design today. 
                          * Fashion design (clogs)
                          * Architecture (Balsa wood models)
                          * Games (puzzles)

 


No comments:

Post a Comment